Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lesson: Pride and the Priesthood

Sis. Natalie Moody taught our lesson today in Relief Society focused on the talk Pride and the Priesthood by Dieter F. Utchdorf.  On the board she wrote,  
"Pride is a switch that turns off priesthood power.  Humility is a switch that turns it on."

Sis. Moody first asked us about how being "PROUD" is different from being "PRIDEFUL".  President Utchdorf said, "I believe there is a difference between being proud of certain things and being prideful. I am proud of many things. I am proud of my wife. I am proud of our children and grandchildren.  I am proud of the youth of the Church, and I rejoice in their goodness. I am proud of you, my dear and faithful brethren. I am proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with you as a bearer of the holy priesthood of God. So what is the difference between this kind of feeling and the pride that President Benson called 'the universal sin'? Pride is sinful, as President Benson so memorably taught, because it breeds hatred or hostility and places us in opposition to God and our fellowmen. At its core, pride is a sin of comparison, for though it usually begins with 'Look how wonderful I am and what great things I have done,' it always seems to end with 'Therefore, I am better than you.'"

As sisters,  we discussed Pride and envy and how sometimes we forget to have "Joy in the Journey".  We get too focused on the goals of the future, that we forget to take a look at the blessings and opportunities that are happening in the HERE and NOW (also reminds me of this song--not a church song, just I think has a good message)!  Many sisters expressed how sometimes are biggest problem can be comparison and how we compare our weaknesses to others' strengths.  Other sisters expressed how we'll get SO focused on not being Prideful that we actually tear ourselves down.  As President Utchdorf said, "We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves."

How grateful I am for the Priesthood.  How grateful I am for righteous Priesthood holders who work in full humility to do the Lord's work.  I know through relinquishing pride, we are able to have the Spirit with us.  I know that prayer, gratitude and an utmost reliance and faith in God helps us to be humble and love those around us.  How grateful I am for our Savior Jesus Christ who was the epitome of Humble.
Thank you Sis. Moody for your wonderful lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment